Sunday, May 17, 2009

A Blog is Born

There’s nothing like a layoff to get the creative juices flowing. Mine came the first week in January after five and a half years and just three days after receiving the latest recognition award for my credenza. My manager, who clearly brought his heart to work that day, had tears in his eyes as he delivered the news. His own severance package came shortly thereafter when our national division was eliminated causing many others across the country to lose their jobs as well. The largest bank in the country was scaling back.

I worked with some incredibly smart, grounded individuals who continuously supported and celebrated the success of their peers. The job itself was never my passion. Coaching held that honor which is why I did it as a sidebar to full-time employment for more than fifteen years. I regularly attended industry meetings, took advanced training and gave lectures on timely career topics, all to stay connected; to keep the “saw sharp.”

I hibernated most of the winter, reading and writing then writing and reading. I needed the recovery time. I always loved to write, loved everything about it and would look for any reason to do it. I was quick to oblige when someone needed a bio written, a self evaluation, or help drafting an email.

As the snow fell, I read “Stillness Speaks” by Eckhart Tolle and learned the importance of emptying the mind so the voice within can be heard. The economy continued to deteriorate. Loyal clients called needing resumes updated, guidance on job searches, new positioning statements. Colleagues from the bank needed the same, voicing concern about getting hired in this economy. The writing continued. I made more and more time for solitude. I watched Captain Sullenberger put that plane down in the Hudson River with 154 people on board. I listened as reporters interviewed survivors whose lives changed that day, asking them how it felt to be given a new beginning.

A modest severance package gave me a soft landing and time to think about “what now?” After reading Eckhart’s book, I started each morning with15 minutes of solitude. I got quiet enough to hear the voice that said: “Write, just write.” And so I did.

I came to the realization that maybe I wasn’t destined to write the great American novel after all. I had always been a stronger writer with the shorter snippets. Maybe it was time for the career website I always talked about and never had time to do when I was so consumed with making my numbers for the quarter. And so it began. I started writing content for my own website.

Then it clicked ~ a Blog ~ write what you know and share your perspectives on work and life. After all, my NYU certification is in “Career and Life Planning.” Two things have come out of my winter solstice: Careerstimulus.net and a blog to go with it ~~ TA-DAH!

After sending off final copy to the web designer, I went for a manicure for the first time in six months. Patti asked how things were as she deftly worked the knots in my neck during the gratis massage that accompanied each visit. “How are you Cheryl?” “Long time since we’ve seen you – how’s work? I paused for a moment and said “Things are good Patti. I am a fulltime Career Coach now. I write resumes and help people change jobs.” “That’s great. A lot of people need that now” said Patti. “Have any business cards?” She took the cards and put them into a lucite card holder that she just happened to have and placed them on the counter. They are the first thing you see as you enter the salon.

Then it hit me. No longer was I looking in the rearview mirror; I was looking through the windshield at my future.

No comments:

Post a Comment